shall we get high on truth?

lunes, julio 11, 2005

ZONES

Sometimes it seems like life should be all about comfort. In our day and age it’s too easy to get so caught up with the conveniences of our world such as fast food, riding lawn mowers, air conditioning, and dish-washers. (That’s why so many Americans have to get buff by lifting weights—because they don’t wash enough dishes by hand) What I’ve learned is that we can also get comfortable with our routines and the places we live. Ever since I was four years old my family has lived in Mexico City planting churches this has led to a lot of changes in my life.

Now, most missionaries are required to return to the US to stay for a year every four years. If you do the math that means that I’ve lived in Mexico eleven years and only seven years in the US. Every time I’ve come back to what is supposed to be home, I’ve been hit with what is called “culture shock”. All of a sudden I’m not comfortable and to my frustration it becomes a lot harder for me to make friendships. After a year of trying to become more “American” it’s time to go back to Mexico where I have shift gears again and get back into the swing of things there. In Mexico they call me a gringo, and in America they call me a Mexican. When I’m at one place I miss the other and no matter where I am it seems like I’ll never “fit in”.

But I’ve also learned that it is so easy to go through these changes with the sulking attitude that I’m never going to become a true gringo or Mexican. Then I selfishly draw back to the dark corner where I’ll lick my wounds. It was especially easy for me to do that this year because I came up by myself to live with my grandparents and take my senior year of high school. But do you know what? It’s not very much fun to stand on the side and watch everyone else have a blast serving God and living life. I realized this quite early during the school year but once you have the selfish mentality it takes a long time to get rid of it. You see, it becomes a habit that seems to automatically take control during certain situations. For example: Ignoring people you don’t know. Or avoiding getting involved in your church. Or a rejecting an open door to share your faith to others. It took me long enough to realize where the roots of my problems where which ended up being my comfort zones.

In order to get out of my comfort zones I needed to conquer my fear of unexplored territory. One verse that has helped me tremendously is, Jeremiah 29: 11-13, “For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and I will listen. You will seek me and find me when you seek with all your heart.” Several times I have had to ask myself, “How can I expect to find God when I’m too afraid to shine His light?” In Joshua 1:9 God tells Joshua, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

With God’s help I’ve been able to conquer some of my fears and reach out to others. Its not until I was actually able to do it that I realized that getting out of my comfort zone and helping someone else is one of the most fun things in the in the world to do ! If only more Christians would realize this I think the gospel would spread like a wild fire.

Of course I’m no where near being perfect in this area of my life but I’m very thankful that God is teaching me so much through the “culture shock” experience. Not everyone gets to see things the way I’ve gotten to see them and I just wanted to encourage all of you to check yourselves and see if there are any zones that you have avoided. I know that I’ve got all sorts of dark zones that I’m afraid to go in. Those zones that are full of uncertainty and full of possibilities sometimes appear to the last place that I want to go. But that’s where my Lord wants to enhance His kingdom through me. So one by one I’m stepping on to the diving board, grabbing onto Jesus’ hand, and without even holding my nose, I’m diving in head first. It’s always amazing what glimpses of God’s glory you’ll find in uncomfortable zones.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

That was good to hear that from you, nate. I've never thought about just how confusing it'd be to go back and forth between worlds like that. I thought my 'worlds' were hard enough but in both at least I can speak English! It's amazing how God works all things together for good.

14/7/05 6:45 p.m.

 
Blogger yoshi said...

hey hombre - you'll always be my favorite gringoand my favorite mexican. you are a great friend when you are here, and you have a burden for the people of mexico. in my book, you got the best of both worlds. God bless you.

18/7/05 11:05 p.m.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home