shall we get high on truth?

lunes, octubre 23, 2006

Open-Mindedness?

Yeeeeeee-hah! …So I’ve got another couple questions. I’ve got a little bit of an opinion on both of these questions but I need help from you guys to develop it! They are inspired by the song “One Trick Pony” by Mercy Me. (If you can’t hear it then it usually helps to push the PLAY button. Then if it still doesn’t work then too bad for you.)

The world has finally accepted the Christian notion that we should accept everyone and have taken it to a new level! I would even say they do it better than Christians now. Behold, the philosophies of universalism! Not only should you love every one but you should also accept their beliefs as truth--even if it seems that your truth contradicts theirs. Don’t worry about it because they are perfectly compatible. This is what it means to be completely open-minded. And in our country you are expected to be absolutely open-minded or else you are a bias racist, sexist, rankest, and any other not so nice -ist words that you can make up. But I wonder. How many of them are truly open-minded themselves? I would have to say the number is somewhere around… NONE!


Read the second verse of Mercy Me‘s song:
If I hear just one more time
That I should be more open-minded
I think I just might scream
This world says this is all there is
Yet I believe the one who says there’s life after this
Now tell me, how much more open can my mind be?



At Ivy Tech, it seems that all the professors, staff, managers, sponsers, students, and their backpacks are liberal and are supposed open-mindists. It’s humorous… or rather sad to see my fellow students and professors try to convince me that their open-mindedness is the best way to go. They say that I need to leave truth alone and just stick with small talk--that is, unless I’m bashing Bush and fretting about global warming. They try to tell me to accept all religions because in reality they want me to believe that religion is a stupid, feel-good activity for the uneducated. They aren’t open-minded.

So tell me this first. What is true open-mindedness? (that’s a tough one isn’t it?) Then we can attempt to answer: Can a person be open-minded forever?

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

"Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid."
--G.K.Chesterton

(Seriously, that guy is brilliant.)

24/10/06 3:13 p.m.

 
Blogger Nata said...

well, i guess you hit the nail on the head Banke$--or G.K. Chesterton did. that is one cool quote! it pretty much sums up what i think are the answers to my questions.

1. To truly have an open mind, you have to be searching for the truth. If you think you already know the truth, you don't have an open mind. For a persons faith to be truly and foundationaly strong, that person must have an open mind at some time in his life.

2. But he can't stay that way forever or it'll drive him crazy trying to live life without a source of truth. We need to shut our "mouth" on something solid in order to get the nutrition from it. If you try to swallow someing without closing your mouth--you're going to choke... and die.

27/10/06 4:51 p.m.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home